Monday, August 8, 2011

The wedding I worked on Saturday had everything a wedding should have. There was dancing, laughter, great food and tons of romantic hugs and tender kisses between the newlyweds. The venue was amazing, the food delicious and the decor dramatically turned the big ballroom into a magical space. The band kept both the family and friends dancing all night long. 

I love what I do. Thru out the week it's a lot of emails, reworking proposals to fit a family's budget and answering the many questions a bride may have regarding her big day. But on the day of the wedding, I work in the back ground making sure the big day runs smoothly, and ultimately I have the honor of watching two families come together to celebrate two people committing themselves to eachother thru the adventure of life.

I had spent years working in the service industry but the day to day lifestyle wasn't something I wanted to continue. It was time for a "big girl" job.  At 26, I have no real college under belt, just a couple of semesters that left me frustrated and unclear with what I wanted to do or better yet, what I really had a passion for.  I had always wanted a job in event planning or with a church planning mission trips, weddings or conferences but I had no clue on where to start. 

Knowing I had to get away from waiting tables, I took an admin job at a hospital hoping to get my butt back to college to eventually pursue a nursing career, anything to get me out of my current situation.  But after 8 weeks into the new job, I felt my heart sadden. Nursing would definately be a rewarding and never dull moment career but there would still be something lacking...


Around the same time my heart began to stir with the uncertainty towards nursing, my boyfriend and I went shopping for wood flooring for the house he was remodling. It was in the same business center of the flooring store that I found Bella Events. I saw the sign in the window looking for office help and after a little encourgement from my boyfriend to follow my dreams and 3 agonizing weeks later, I got the job!!


There has been a lot to learn, this industry is bigger than I thought and the competition is fierce. But the reward is high. I love waking up and going into the office to iron out the plans for brides are ready to commit everything they have to the one they love.

And on nights like this past Saturday, I'm reminded that my day will come too.

No comments:

Post a Comment